South Korea’s presidential office has confirmed that South Korea US investment talks are continuing through multiple channels, after a report said Washington had expressed dissatisfaction with the pace of Seoul’s progress on a $200bn strategic investment commitment. The confirmation came alongside news that the country’s chief trade negotiator has been dismissed.
Washington presses Seoul to accelerate investment projects
The Korea Economic Daily reported on 14 August 2026 that the US Department of Commerce had emailed South Korea urging it to accelerate projects linked to reciprocal tariffs, following similar communications sent late last month. The report said the emails warned that further delays could be reported to President Donald Trump.
South Korea’s presidential office, responding to a query from Bloomberg News, said discussions with the US are taking place through various channels and that the government is addressing bilateral trade issues through frequent communication. An official at the presidential office declined to confirm specific details of the bilateral discussions or internal government communications.
The pressure from Washington centres on Seoul’s commitment to $350bn in US investment, which includes $200bn for strategic projects and a further $150bn earmarked for shipbuilding cooperation. The package was agreed as part of a trade deal reached with Washington last year, but progress in announcing specific projects has been slow.
South Korea’s parliament approved a special bill in March needed to carry out the investment pledge. The legislation allowed for the establishment of a new state-run vehicle to manage the projects. Delays in implementation had already drawn a sharp response from Trump, who threatened in January to impose duties of up to 25% on US imports of Korean goods, a move that pushed Seoul to fast-track passage of the bill.
Chief trade envoy dismissed as South Korea US investment talks continue
Compounding the pressure, Yonhap News Agency reported that South Korea’s chief trade negotiator, Yeo Han-koo, has been dismissed from his post. According to Yonhap, Yeo was notified of his dismissal by the Ministry of Personnel Management on Friday. The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy confirmed the decision, though no reason was given.
Yeo had been a central figure in South Korea’s engagement with Washington. Reuters reported that he had served as South Korea’s principal trade envoy, making several trips to Washington this year to meet US administration and congressional officials on tariffs, chip measures and digital policy concerns.
Yeo previously served as trade minister under the Moon Jae-in administration and was reappointed after President Lee Jae Myung’s administration took office last year. Since returning to the role, he had played a key part in talks with Washington over US tariffs and South Korea’s investment commitments, according to Yonhap. His departure removes a figure with direct experience of both the political and technical dimensions of the negotiations at a particularly delicate moment.
The dismissal adds uncertainty to a process that Washington has made clear it wants resolved quickly. The Korea Economic Daily’s account of the Commerce Department’s emails suggests the US is maintaining active pressure at an official level, with the threat of escalation to Trump if progress stalls. South Korea’s presidential office has not confirmed the content of those communications, but its public insistence that talks are proceeding through frequent exchanges suggests Seoul is aware of the urgency.
South Korea’s government now faces the task of maintaining momentum in the South Korea US investment talks while managing a leadership change in the team that has been handling them. The Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy has yet to name a successor to Yeo.
